Federal Safety Regulations
Federal Safety Regulations
At Montessori Outlet, we understand that making products in accordance to the federal safety regulations is the key priority. Unlike all other Montessori suppliers especially those discounted vendors, Montessori Outlet has more than five full time in-house technicians being trained by the federal CPSC accredit laboratories to work at our factory to ensure that all of our products are made according to the newest federal safety regulations.
Today, Montessori Outlet is the ONLY Montessori supplier in the world meeting all the following federal safety regulations. We strongly recommend you purchase school supplies from qualified vendors, rather than discounted vendors who are still unaware of the newest safety regulations and laws.
CPSIA (HR4040): The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act
What is the CPSIA (HR4040) regulation?
The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA-HR4040) is a federal law signed by President George W. Bush in February 2008 to improve safety, accountability, and record-keeping in regard to consumer products especially products used by children under 12-years old.
The main points of this bill which manufacturers, importers, distributors, and retailers shall note are that it:
- Mandates that the total lead content (by weight) in materials or substrates of any children's products sold on the market shall be under 600ppm after 2/10/2009, under 300ppm after 8/14/2009, and under 100ppm after 8/14/2011.
- Mandates that the total lead content in paint or other surface coating of any children's products sold on the market to be under 90 ppm after 8/14/2009.
- Mandates any children's products that contain a concentration of more than 0.1% of the phthalates are permanently prohibited.
- Mandates that ASTM F963-07 shall be considered as the mandatory toy safety standard. Any party claiming the conformity of their products to the ASTM F963-07 standard must have 3rd party independent testing lab reports.
- Mandates that all children's products must be tested by a 3rd party independent testing laboratory accredited by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Why and how does this affect me?
Any manufacturers, importers, distributors, and retailers meeting the CPSIA HR4040 regulation guarantee that the products purchased for your children and students possess legally-limited lead quantities and assure you of child toy safety. If your current supplier is not aware of such law, cannot supply you the proof of conformity to such law, or meet the standards of third-party testing, they will no longer be allowed to import or sell their products in the U.S. market, thus affecting you directly.
Does Montessori Outlet comply with this standard?
Yes, Montessori Outlet has been in compliance with the CPSIA (HR4040) regulation even prior to its effective date. All of Montessori Outlet's products are tested at the world-renowned German TUV Rheinland Laboratory based on the newest federal safety standards. Product safety has always been our top priority, and we enforce the strictest safety standards at our own factory and upon our suppliers.